<VV> Corvair Research - mech brakes

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri May 2 04:18:38 EDT 2008

>When was the car with mechanical brakes  built?  The 1930's?

I do not know when the last mechanical brake vehicles were built in the
US, but from personal experience, when they are working right, they work
rather well.  I drove a 1934 Ford that had a mild engine swap over to
the upholstry shop, only later to realize it still had mechanical brakes
-- I had no idea from driving it!  That was one of several things the
shop upgraded on the car.

Also drove a 1928 Studebaker President with mech brakes that really
weren't working well -- a rather nasty experience, but fortunately I
knew in advance of the situation.

Generally speaking, mechanical brakes require rather frequent
adjustment, and simply can not supply the braking force of hydraulic
braking systems, but neither are they prone to the catastrophic failures
of hydraulic systems, although lack of maintaince can lead to linkage
failures.  I would think fitting mechanical brakes to an independent
suspension vehicle such as a Corvair would be a nightmare -- thery were
found on vehicles with solid axles, front and rear.

Agreed, "there are ignorant idiots branded as experts everywhere."
Aparently there are at least two involved here, the author and the editor.

Hydraulic braking systems were introduced in the thirties, and most
manufacturers quickly switched as highways were imporving and speeds
were increasing..

Bill Strickland