<VV> 63 SOURCE OF APPARENT VACUME LEAK FOUND

chris czepyha thegeek2@juno.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:08:36 -0400

I tried again to find A vacume leak on my wifes 63.

Got actual starting fluid.  As a test, sprayed some in the intake of the
running car.  And sure enough the engine picked up.  Waited for it to
settle down.

Systematically did each carb, soaking the end of each connection point.
Finally down to, it picked up.

Took off the vacume air filter and found the leak.  A rust hole had
formed on the underside of the cleaner.  So when I sprayed the fluid, the
vapor was being sucked up into the carb.  Checked the large hose just to
make sure, its on good.  Clamped on, for extra security.

Patched the hole, and re-tried the test, this time no engine pickup.  No
sucking sound.

I run the exhaust away, helps cut the noise level.  Making engine noises
easier to hear.  Then if I need to get down and dirty, ye old garden hose
helps isolate the noises.

Thanks to all.  Now the next rainly, non cruise,  night, I can try to set
the balance.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!