<VV> Warranties : Was "Don't knock those Chrysler products"

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 02:46:07 EST 2015

Because they had a service bulletin or whatever that told them there had
been a problem with the hood latches.  Any time a Volare came in the shop,
they were to check for a blue dot on the latch.  If it wasn't there they
were to do some prescribed adjustment or whatever and paint a blue dot on
the latch.  They did exactly that without telling us that they had done it.
It was nowhere on any work order that I was given.  I discovered the blue
dot at some later date and puzzled over it.  I couldn't convince myself that
it had always been there but had no idea where it could have come from.
Some time later, I was back in response to a letter we got about a
carburetor campaign.  That time they changed a part in the carburetor and
put a white dot on the air cleaner.  The service writer explained that dot
to me, I suppose because I was there only for that campaign.  That was the
point I decided the blue dot was for some fix they never told me about.
That is also when I adopted the practice of inspecting under the hood
whenever I picked up a car after service.  Several years later, I read
something (probably a newspaper article on lemons) that specifically
mentioned the hood latch problem and the blue paint dot.  Suspicion
confirmed.

By the way, they never did fix the stalling problem.  I figured out a
work-around we could live with.  The final fix was when somebody ran a red
light and T-boned another car, knocking it into the Volare which was stopped
at the opposite side of the intersection.  The wrecking yard gave us $175,
which I thought was generous.

Jim Becker