<VV> steering question update #3

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Thu May 31 00:01:36 EDT 2012

Thanks again for your replies.  The women are now back from the airport.  (Egad!!!  A housefull of women for the next coupla weeks!!  Thank you, Lord, for my trusty garage!)

   Anyway, i've been told there is a popping sound that comes from the left front when making a turn, and that there is a bunch of extra play in the steering.

Terri says its been really "loose" like that since she's been driving the car. (There wasn't any extra play beforehand.)  She  seems to think  the hard steering is "normal".  It most definitely DOESN'T steer like a normal Corvair.

   And for those who can't relate to my explanation of " hard steering", On a scale of 0 to 10, with a normal Corvair coming in around a 2, i'd say it's about a 5 or 6.  And  for those who have never tried to steer  anything with a very low tire,  it's also comparable to steering a  w ater pumper with power steering,  without the engine running.

   Fortunately, she'll only be driving it a few more days until her "cave" car is up and running.  Then I can dig into this in ernest.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'65 monza 4dr. 110/pg