<VV> Cast Iron Rings Break-In

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 19 01:36:58 EDT 2011

How long did you run it and how warm did it get?  You might be seeing
nothing more than the "burn off" of oil on parts.

Break in - to me...

The first 10 minutes or so, you will see some smoke.  After 20 minutes or so
it should be gone for sure.  You are varying the RPMS during that initial
time, right?

Somewhere in the half hour to hour range is time for the first oil and
filter change.  Pay attention to what you find in the drain pan - including
what comes out of the filter.

Next step is 2 hours and the same routine.

Next step is 300 to 500 miles and the same routine.

Then 1,000 and do it once more.  By this point there is about 1500 miles on
the engine plus the initial "run in" time.

If no obvious problems are found during all this, you should be good to go
and the rings should be seated Just Fine.  Well Molly rings might take a few
more miles but that should not affect you.

Oh, you DID make sure that the ring gaps were NOT lined up with one another
upon install, right?

I would not give it to the body shop until you are satisfied there are no
engine issues.  They are going to start it, move it in - out of the shop -
to a different area in the shop.... and all that (brief) time on full choke
which will wash the cylinder walls in gasoline.

Later, JR