<VV> New Oils for Classic cars

vairjer at comcast.net vairjer at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 17:32:33 EDT 2011

snip> I use Mobile 1 15-50 which says on the bottle "racing" and "flat
tappet" -- interestingly enough some bottles say one, some say the
other, some say both. Their Web site says both on their chart and
both phosphorous and zinc are over 1200 ppm. I have used this for
decades in everything from diesel trucks to tractors to
Corvairs. You can get it in 5 quart bottles cheap at Walmart, Napa,
or Mobile stations <

Well, I used to use it as well, and it is a fine product....however, due to low sales volume, Walmart has recently dropped it from all of their stores insofar as I can determine. Even from the Mobil 1 site, Walmart is not shown as having it and I recently tried several stores from Illinois to Virginia to find some, and no luck anywhere. I used it in both my registered Corvairs and for the transmission fluid in my Cub Cadet lawn tractor.

I recently purchased two five quart jugs of the 10W40 high mileage Mobil 1 which has higher than most oils in our zddp type content but sure wish I could find my 15W50 version.

Jerry McKenzie
PCCA Springfield, IL