<VV> Now tires - a little Corvair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat Mar 13 20:59:47 EST 2010

It depends on a number of factors (including sun damage, etc... so a vehicle
parked in garage may have tire that last linger) but as a rule of thumb, a
tire over 5 years old has lost a lot of its original traction due to
hardening and is more likely to have structural issues.

IMO, a large part of the Firestone/Explorer issues were due to the fact that
tread life has been extended so long that the tires are structurally
questionable before the tread is gone.

I have several cars with low mileage tires over 5 years old, but I wouldn't
be comfortable driving them at high speeds for long distances or in a
spirited manner that got near the performance margin... for Sunday cruising
in dry weather they are likely okay.

Bill