<VV> BeaveRun and fan belt

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 01:28:32 EDT 2009

Chuck...  Maybe it is not a problem in your area, but two years of sitting
will surely allow rust to form on the pulleys.  That "surface" rust acts
like sandpaper and "eats" the belt quickly - this is in normal use, not
autocross.

When I was running the ICE race car, I'd always forget and would end up
changing out the belt on the way to the race (just normal highway driving).
By then, the pulleys were clean and I was good until next season - when I
would again forget that little detail (to sand the rust off of the pulleys).

I do agree that for autocross, silicone on the belt will produce a benefit
(well maybe 2 or 3) - longer life, less chance of "flipping" a belt and
possibly a couple of "extra" horses.  Sometimes - short race - you can get
even more horses by intentionally throwing a belt. <GRIN>  So far as I know,
that option is only available in stick shift cars.  <Wider GRIN>

Regarding the belt taking a "set".  Most folks seem to coil up the spare (we
all carry) into 3 or for loops - making a small circle for easy storage.
I've found that the spare will lay up in the air intake area (LM) behind the
backlight in the original packaging without putting it into a circle -
thereby avoiding (some) of the curved "set" it might take.

Later, JR