<VV> Ethanol? filter problems? (HUH?) (minimal Corvair content)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 17:39:49 EDT 2005

Hi Tony,

Are we talking apples and oranges here?

"BTUs" would indicate energy content of one of the fuels.  By the way, 15%
gain of what over what?  The section you snipped from my previous post is part
of a statement expressing concern about the amount of energy it takes to make a
specified amount of alcohol and if it makes technical sense compared to other
energy sources.  I used gasoline for comparison because it is the competing
fuel we are discussing here.  Most of the energy use in the USA comes from
fossil based fuels.

I will readily admit that the basis of my statement may come from an aged
source.  What is the source of your information?  I would be happy to look it
over and change my opinion if presented with actual facts.  Please send the link
or links off digest.

Please note that the cost of a gallon of gasoline includes the costs of
pulling it from the ground, transporting it, refining (cracking) it and a bunch of
other things all of which take energy.  To be comparable, the energy cost of
alcohol should include the energy used to plant it (grain, ?), the energy it
takes to make the fertilizer, harvest it, transportation, changing the grain to
alcohol, etc.  Comparing purchase price to purchase price gets very clouded
when you include subsidies, price gouging, etc.

According to the other posts in this train, it seems that our Corvairs are
capable of using a certain percentage of alcohol in the fuel.  I question
whether it is a viable alternative from a technical perspective, not from a PC
perspective.  If it is viable, perhaps we will be better off in the long run.  If
not, I strongly object to having it forced down my throat especially
considering that the "powers that be" are benefiting from what appears to be a campaign
of misinformation and picking all of our pockets in the process to pay for it.
 Government intrudes into our lives in so many ways.  Much of it is thinly
disguised as a "benefit" to us all.  A case in point is the repeated efforts to
have us remove our classic cars from the road.  Edited, incomplete and false
information is often used to justify these self serving bills that politicians
propose.  The politicians know that even though their bill may have a negative
overall impact on the environment, they will get more votes for "getting
those polluting Corviars, etc. off the road" than they will lose by pissing us
off.  Yes, this is a little off the topic of gasohol but is on topic in the
larger picture of politicians and special interests forcing things down our throats
through the use of misinformation.

I will get off my soap box for now.

Doc
~~~~~~~~~
In a message dated 6/18/2005 10:33:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Message: 4