<VV> Stock wheels or not???

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Tue Aug 2 03:17:14 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "N. Joseph Potts" <pottsf at msn.com>
To: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair at fnader.com>; <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Subject: RE: <VV> Stock wheels or not???

> Bill, I suspect that SOME of what you get out of uprated tires relates to
> other uprated components on your car, not to mention a way of driving that
> an old coot like me would seldom emulate these days. > Joe Potts
> Miami, Florida USA
> 1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C and Clark's Red Ryder shock
> absorbers
**********
Hi; anecdotally speaking, when my wifes originalequipment "sporty looking"
tires on her 92 Talon started looking worn, we gleefully switched to some
upper crust BFG Comp ( about equivalent to the present G-Force BFG Comps,
very nice performance street performance tires ) ..... anyway, pushing the
boy racer envelope only gently, the difference was about 2/1 in Astounding
Points ...   things that started feeling funny at 60 mph with the original
tires never started feeling funny at all at manuevers less than instant jail
... or firing squad perhaps ...
The bad news is that after some 10 years of terrific handling, the sidewalls
are going away ( from sunshine and global warming maybe? ) and we have to
buy new tires now.. sigh ...   $2.50 gallon gasoline is starting to mean
something to our car fun budgets ...
Cooper Cobra GT's ( 195/70/13 ) ( $80 mounted,balanced ) are still feeling
good on my 13 inch stocker vair, after a year's running ... consider these
... I think maybe a step up from BFG Radial T/A, which I had on about
everything as a good tire for the bucks .
Just some thoughts, ken campbell, deltawerkes