<VV> RE: TRANS FLUID (somewhat serious, nah!)

John Miller jncmiller@mchsi.com
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:21:05 -0500

  Look guys, I wouldnt panic about PG fluids. My wife runs a Dollar General
Store and they still carry TYPE A tranny fluid for 75 cents a quart (not
liters) I believe this was what GM used before dexron (and may be that strange
convertable top fluid that leaks out of Earlies...sorry, Bill) It works fine
in a powerglide.  Truth be known I have even added type F and mercon when
nothing else was available and it works too.
   I  have driven home with overheated, boiling and leaking powerglides....to
the tune of adding a quart every 10 miles or until the car quit moving, for
over 200 miles (ok...I'm no tree hugger) That transmission is still servicing
a running car without a rebuild!  I have yet to meet anyone I would call a PG
expert...at least on Corvairs. And considering the guk I have drained out of
some powerglides they may run with Mississippi river water in
them...???.....ok, maybe not...Either way I think we will all be long gone
from this earth by the time Dexron disappears quite simply because of all the
other uses besides transmissions (ie; hydraulics? for one) I am certain there
are those who may disagree but I am speaking from my own experience.
  Lets worry about something important like leaded gas, nylon tires, and AM
radio...ahhh!  ....this too shall pass, my son...

                                            John Miller
                                             Iowa

 PS.    No disrespect to any Corvair experts out there or you either, Hank !
(sorry , Hank...I couldnt resist)