BSCC- Winter Corvair Projects?!

John Weigel jwvair65 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 13 00:20:07 EST 2007

My winter project?  Get to at least one meeting :)     Actually I have an engine to rebuild.

For those who might be curious about the 66 sedan that was listed in a Skinner auction on Oct 28th, I went to the preview the Sat before the auction.  They had appraised its value between $1000 - $1500.  110HP, AT, Monza, not running, but I figured it was worth a look - for that price it should be fairly solid, right?

Wrong.  It didn't look good from 100 feet away and got worse as I got closer.  Just a quick walk around - rusted out quarters, bad rust around front and rear windows, surface rust under the paint on front and rear lids, overwhelming mildew odor when the door was opened, smell of stale gas in engine compartment, etc, most likely it's sitting outside for who-knows-how-many-years.  And no special features or options, just a vanilla 66 sedan.  I filled in a bid form for $50, in case there were no other offers, but it was refused by the lady at the front counter: "I don't want to burst your bubble, but that would be offensive to the consignee."  I said thank you and departed.

The next day at work I was telling this tale to my coworkers and went to the website to see if the picture of the Vair was still there.  It wasn't, but the auction results were.  The Vair was reported as sold for $588, which works out to $500 + 17.5% buyer's commission.  One of the other vehicles I remembered was a 64 4-door Rambler.  It was listed as not running, but I thought it looked pretty good - shiny paint, decent interior and so forth.  Most probably, it had been sitting in a garage, not outside too much.  It's value was appraised between $500 - $1000.  It was reported as sold for $294, which is $250 + 17.5% buyer's commission.

Interesting that both cars went for exactly 1/2 the low appraised value.  I wished I had gone to the auction just to see how it worked.  This is a big name auction house, so maybe people or businesses bid 1/2 the low end hoping to get some deals?  All I know is every item on the auction list was reported as sold.

In my opinion, the offense to the consignee was a poor appraisal.  Or on the other hand, maybe I'm way under-estimating the value of my collection of Corvairs and parts.  Like John Wingle's visit to see the Krylon White '63, this was an interesting experience, but really wasn't worth the time or the drive.

John