BSCC- Fwd: [Colonial-list] looking for repairs in Cambridge, MA area

ToesTen at aol.com ToesTen at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 10:04:20 EDT 2006

Lionel:

Thanks for the note - your name keeps coming up, and positively, so I hope
you can help me.

Well, I am not mechanically inclined, so let me give you some  "symptoms".
First, I am getting a bit of leaking of oil from the bottom pan - I  am assuming
a gasket. Second, I am burning an excessive amount of gas - getting  less
than 10 mpg. Not sure the seals around carburetor, etc. are good. Third, I  have
problems getting power. She rides fine at 20-40 mph, but it is very  difficult
to get above 50, with rocker-arm (?) or "knocking" noise as I rev the  engine
to get up to speed. I am also not sure the Turbo is kicking in as it  should
- the pressure gauge works, but I get little change as I  accelerate.

The man I bought it from (a place called "Corvair Enterprises" in Melrose,
MA - but I was less than impressed with his work) did do some fuel line work -
added a "return" line back from engine into the fuel tank that (he said) was
stock designed in 1964 but there was a kit to upgrade the earlier models -
does  this sound familiar?

Shift can stick a bit, especially after driving for a  while, but one
engaged it is fine.

Brakes pull to the left a bit - probably just needs the system bled.

Overall, she is good - starts right up, stays up, no pinging unless I am
trying to aggressively accelerate. She has approx. 90,000 original miles.

I am sure she could use a tune-up as well.

And...do you do body work? I am getting a little bubbling at the wheel  wells
that I want to nip in the bud.

I have owned her since April 2003 - probably put on 5-7,000 in that time,
mostly local stuff.

Logistics of getting her there and back is my issue - I assume you would
want her for several days, so I would have to try to arrange a couple of round
trips. Also, I guess I am a bit afraid taking her on a high-speed long trip
until I am sure I can run it at 55-60 consistently without hurting the engine. A
 pick-up would be great - but I am in Belmont. I is that  possible?

Thanks - I really appreciate you getting to me!

David Alper

Confidentiality Statement:
PRIVACY NOTICE: This  message may contain confidential information
belonging to the sender that is  legally privileged.  This information is
intended only for the use of  the individual or authorized entity named
above.  The recipient of this  confidential information is prohibited from
disclosing the information to any  other party.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify  the sender immediately and destroy.
Please keep any information you may have  viewed confidential.