<VV> '65 140 engine bay featured in today's Hagerty "Daily Driver" Tech Tips, see link below

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Jun 18 01:53:27 EDT 2024

On 6/17/2024 2:46 PM, Tom Berg via VirtualVairs wrote:
>   Ha! I didn't know that an all-old or all-dirty look was desirable. One thing I'd question is reusing old fasteners. Usually they're OK, but if bolts are in a stressed position, they can stretch and be weakened. I'm no mechanic, but just sayin'.

All that having been said, it used to be that almost nobody ever bought
new hardware when putting an engine together.  I never did, and never
had any issues.   Maybe the hardware isn't quite what it used to be...
?   This goes for head bolts, rod nuts, main cap bolts etc.  Likewise
Corvair crankcase bolts and rod nuts.  None ever failed.

Then there's the Cadillac Northstar 4.6 engines that still had head
gasket failures even with all new head bolts/inserts etc... kinda hard
to trust some of the modern engine hardware/designs. I did have one
bigblock Mopar head crack after a few years following assembly but it
wasn't because of reusing the head bolts (crack between chambers).
Maybe I just got lucky along the way?

The stuff I fool with is all old anyway, so I worry not.   :-)

tony..

--
www.avg.com