<VV> Battery drain source?

William Hubbell wjhubbell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:14:57 EDT 2016

Yes, that is a well-known issue and was the subject of a Chevrolet Service News article December 1962.  All early model Corvairs with the Direct Air Heater should have a protective sleeve over the left heater hose (Clark's sells it as part # C8281 and Corvair Underground as part # U-1961).  Additionally, install the battery positive cable so that its terminal leaves the solenoid at the 5 o'clock position instead of the 9 o'clock position.

Late Model Corvairs use a different hose routing so this is not an issue.

Bill Hubbell

On Oct 25, 2016, at 2:47 PM, Ed Bittman via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

I once had a '63 convertible that the brand new battery dis-charged virtually overnight. I would charge it up,next day dead. After going crazy searching a buddy suggested I look at the heater hose near the starter. Sure enough it was sagging against  the battery connection to the starter and since it has a coil spring inside of it it was draining the battery. Made a sleeve from an old inner tube,wrapped it around the hose with a plastic tie, problem solved. Ed Dade City,Fl