<VV> Starter switch gremlin ( revisited)

Dale Dewald d66dewald at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 15:20:30 EDT 2016

Hello Michael,

While at the convention with our close to factory stock '67 500, we had
a similar problem.  After shutting off the engine and removing the key
the GEN-FAN light remained on.  It went off only with the battery cable
off.  It also went off with the engine running. Tracing the wiring, I
concluded that a diode had shorted out in the alternator.   Since the
alternator in the car had been replaced at some point, [wrong date code]
I swapped in a rebuilt one from Clark's.  The problem went away and the
car ran and started better after the battery was once again fully charged.

Disconnect the two prong plug from the back of the alternator and see if
the light(s) still remain on with the battery connected.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI