<VV> solid flywheel woes

Mike McCrae mmccrae6 at cox.net
Tue Mar 31 19:27:28 EDT 2015

Last summer, I installed a solid late flywheel in my Manx. The Aluminum one previously installed for it’s auto-cross days
was shaking it to pieces when I let the clutch out. I have now had three starters fail...one high torque, and two stock ones.
The stock ones suffered broken noses, and the high torque had the gear fall off. When the stock ones were engaged, they made a
loud clunk each time before turning the flywheel. I replaced the starter with a stock one today and used a .100 spacer to see what it would do.
My thinking was that the specs on the aftermarket flywheel might be faulty, placing the ring gear in the wrong position. Well, it doesn’t engage now at all...
just spins. I guess I have to bite the bullet and pull the engine...oh well!!
Has anyone out there had similar problems with a solid flywheel...???

Regards,
Mike McCrae