<VV> Retiring and Not

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 4 06:34:02 EDT 2015

I will be retiring from my "day job" as a high school math teacher tomorrow. It was a 3rd career of sorts (for 12 years) after
the Army and working in the paper industry for 3 decades. I started Wolf Enterprises on a whim in the early 90's and it has grown beyond my wildest dreams and hopefully will continue to do so as it becomes my only business focus. I have put in more hours each week in it than the teaching thing for about the last 10 years or so, which is probably why I feel and look older than I am. I can't recall my last vacation or free weekend. I briefly considered another few years in the classroom, but the audiences have become less and less interested in anything that is not on social media and have become less and less respectful of teachers and the education process. Teachers are cursed out on a regular basis with minimal or no consequence; many students dress as if they are going to the beach or have a job on the "street"; and drug sales and use seem to be at an all time high. Test scores are down and dropping as a result, and most parents are too busy on the own "smart" phone to bother with the trivia of an education. I have a lot of students who simply come to school so mom won't lose her social security disability check. Just as a snap shot, our particular high school has about 50% of the students missing an average of one day a week through the 180 day cycle. About 25-30 of those days are wasted in state mandated standardized testing, so I get to "teach" them the other 100 or so days. Many simply fail their courses and make up the grades in a "gimme" alternative program on the Web or in "Adult Education' (night school). But, I digress.

I am looking forward to being "full time" as a Corvair "vendor"

Grant Young
The Carbmeister