<VV> Carb Balance < 2000rpm

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Fri Jul 31 17:18:02 EDT 2015

From: Kenneth Schifftner <scrubbr at ix.netcom.com>

Why the engine is revved further is not to maintain balance it is to make
certain that the right carburetor is favored (higher draft than the left)
that helps actuate the vacuum advance, etc..  GM only allowed for one
complete turn of the link on the left carb so it is easy to be one turn off.
I made an adjuster for the left carb and wrote an article about it in the
NJACE newsletter.  With that homemade adjuster, the right carb can be
favored more accurately.  It seems like at higher revs the balance tube has
greater effect.  Really, drivability is what matters.
Smitty Says;  I have no axe to grind except to correct misconceptions.  I
still see that there are staunch advocates of adjusting carb match at
elevated speeds.  One hard fast fact that I wish everyone should consider is
that the throttle plate is closed at idle and the engine is getting its fuel
from the "fuel/air" slot inside the throttle bore where a tiny Ventura is
formed at the little cut out in the edge of the plate.  Also in the bore
there is another slot which is horizontal which is connected to the upright
tube on the outside of the carb.  This is either plugged or goes to the Vac
Advance.  The edge of the plate is below the slot at idle.  At approximately
700 rpm the edge of the plate moves above the slot exposing it to the vacuum
under the plate.  That is when the vac adv is activated.  All positioning of
the vac adv from that point on is controlled by the engine demand and
throttle position.  I don't think adjusting the left carb link one turn more
or less would make a visible difference on a tachometer or vacuum gage at
2000 rpm.  It might be visible at idle.  YMMV