<VV> Re-hang a door alone?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Feb 23 10:21:31 EST 2015

I've done a few doors that open and close pretty well.  At the very least people don't come up to me and suggest I get a pro to fix it :-)  Use a 2x4 on the inner brace (not the outer skin) for a cushion and support the door with a jack.  It's a little fiddly getting it at just the right height to take the weight off the hinges but not push it up too high.  A pair of stock scissor jacks can work really well since you can raise or lower just one end.

The bolts that go into the door itself control how the door aligns when you are looking at the side of the car from the side - the gaps at the front and rear and alignment with the character lines on the body.  The bolts in the body set the vertical angle - that is the in/out gaps at the top and bottom.

Take your time.  The folks on the line did it all the time and could hang one in a minute, but you just have to get this one car done in a day.  Good luck!

--Bryan