<VV> Ignition weirdness

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Sep 22 18:37:25 EDT 2014

YES, 12.5 / 11 volts is much too high with the key in ‘run’ position and it would make me believe there is no resistor in the wire.  6 to 7 volts is where it needs to be.

30 degrees dwell is right on but make sure you are reading the 6 cylinder scale.  Too much dwell is what happens when the cam follower block wears down.  It will eventually cause the ignition to fail.

Curing the 12 volt to coil problem may solve the problem BUT the biggest cause of poor idle and lower end performance is the distributor points plate.  Wear in the pin area will cause erratic timing.

Ken P
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed
Wyandotte, MI