<VV> PS: <Aarrgghh!!> Autoweek ...

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 16:40:33 EST 2013

 Having had a few mid engine cars, presently a 1988 Fiero GT, it's clear anyone can be stupid. To find fault with the 1988's handling would require feats of idiocy beyond the pale. The earlier ones, I found, were simply numb and not well dialed in. Blame the hydraulic steering damper, thankfully removed from the '88s.
Now, my X1/9, which also had exceptional handling, would spin in a blink on ice, simply due to its insanely low polar moment of inertia.
I had two other Italians, which I won't brag about and NEVER saw bad weather, also mid engine, also handled exceptionally well. And, after three months of ownership, were sold for a handsome profit.
Of the several different rear engine cars I've owned or driven extensively, their much higher polar moment kept things much happier in bad weather. Add the rather long wheelbase of a Corvair, well, like I said, extreme stupidity is what it took to get into trouble.

John Roberts