<VV> (update) slow cranking and dieseling

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:02:40 EDT 2012

Hello all.  Thanks again for the tips on tracking down my problems.  The
slow cranking problem turned out to be something so dumb I never thought to
look at it.  I had checked the ground cable at the battery and at the body
ground, but the problem it turned out was that it had come loose at the
generator.  Once this was noticed and corrected the starter went back to
spinning as fast as it should.

I haven't tracked down the dieseling yet, but now that I know the two
problems are not related that should be no problem.  We have had far more
mice (and every other animal) this year than any of the 15 years prior, so
I strongly suspect I've got a little bit of nesting in there.  I need to
pull the tin from all my engines and check them out, then be more careful
to protect them after.

I know we have beat to death the topic of trying to prevent mice from
moving into a Corvair that is parked for an extended period of time, but
what about trying to protect Corvairs that are being driven very often, but
sometimes go a couple weeks without being started?  Any clever idea to
minimize the inconvenience?

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA