<VV> If you want to move..no corvair (not even close!)

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Mon May 14 08:43:07 EDT 2012

Exactly ... and how about 406s?  And 401/425 Buicks as well as those GSs?  That is my point ... real performance was everywhere!  While gears did make the difference so did tires!  It is amazing how well those old timers can accelerate and corner on modern tires.  I recently caught a glimpse of some of them [69 or 70 Nova?] on a TV show.  That 70 El Camino with its factory disc brakes and wide tires handles with the best of them today ... and it has REAL finger tip power steering!

Many, if not most, of the cars back in the day suffered from low performing brakes.  They were matched to the tires of their day so putting modern tires on those cars makes them seem even worse.  However, those large Buick aluminum finned drum brakes can match anything offered as stock even today.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.