<VV> Replacing Oil Pressure Regulator Spring

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Mar 23 17:17:52 EDT 2012

I'll take a stab at the explanation. Spring below includes the operation
of the plunger in the description. The spring alone cannot  dump
excessive oil pressure, the plunger does by exposing other passages in
that rear cover.

The spring regulates oil pressure, by bypassing excess oil back to the
sump if the pressure is too high.

Oil pressure will be greater when the engine is running higher revs.

At idle, the available oil pumped through the passages of the regulator
is less than at higher revs.

Since the spring regulates to some pressure that keeps the light off at
revs above idle, and there is less oil at idle,  the spring is not
regulating the pressure below the light turn on setting at idle. There
is simply not enough oil supplied by the pump to turn the light off. The
regulation setting is determined by the spring, but that setting does
not change with pressure of the oil. But when the oil pressure is below
the setting of the spring, the spring cannot "pump" the oil pressure to
a higher level. The spring can only lower oil pressure.

So if the spring was weak and bypassing oil pressure at a low setting,
that should also happen at speed, not just at idle.

Flame suit on awaiting people who can write better to respond!

Frank DuVal