<VV> Generator/Headlight Problems

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 18:11:46 EDT 2012

I bought a pretty nice 64 Spyder coupe last weekend and it was running great
until I started home from our Derby City Corvair Club meeting last Tuesday
night, I turned on the lights for the first time and the generator light
came on and has stayed on ever since. Also, when I hit the high beams, all
the headlights now go out (pretty spooky at 60 mph). Are these two things
related and what should I do? I did check the battery ground strap and it
seems good and tight. I am going to order a new high beam switch.The battery
is still strong and the car still runs great!

Thanks!

Ken Maxwell

 As others have suggested.. the Dimmer switch and it's connector are usually the culprit..  but if in a hurry.. are available at any Autoparts store.
Generic 60's GM  part.  $3-$5

The Generator light.. you still have a Generator????  This is common under heavy loads.. Headlights / Heater Fan, etc..

But it should've went off  later...  Please get a Voltmeter on the battery !!  Battery's are "storage devices"... the work like your gas tank...

Fine... until almost empty... then suddenly dead!!  gg  You should see 12.5 VDC  with engine  off.  14 vdc  running..

And no less than 13 vdc with engine running/ lights on High / Heater Fan on high..

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages