<VV> brake noise, need help

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:12:49 EDT 2012

Hiya guys.

Missy's 63 has been creating some nasty brake noise and I was hoping you
might be able to help me track it down.  The rear brakes very often squeal
(mostly backing up) and sometimes make a grinding noise as if the shoes
were down to rivets (more when coming up to stop signs and such).

The noise is definitely from the rears, I've walked alongside and listened
to them.  Also the noise is coming from both sides.  I recently installed
some used shoes I had on the shelf (in great shape), and I suspect that the
brake hardware (hold down pins etc.) I used might have been the 62 type (on
a 63 car) or maybe even a mix of the two (Clark's lists different part
numbers).  I don't know what the difference is so could this be the cause
and can anyone tell me how to determine which (used) parts are 63 and which
are 62?  If this is likely the cause I'll order a new set of 63 hardware
but I'd rather not have to throw out all my good used brake hardware just
because the 62 and 63 stuff got mixed together.

I pulled the drums and everything looked perfect as near as I could tell.
 Parking brake is working well also.  The only other thing I can come up
with is maybe I did something wrong putting the parking brake stuff (inside
the drum) back together or that the bumps on the backing plate the shoes
ride against need to be cleaned and greased.

Also of note, I recently installed a different set of 14" aluminum wheels.
 They are the ones that resemble Hand's wheels but without the snout in the
center.

Thanks!

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III