<VV> Back to Engine Shop

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 23:42:25 EST 2012

Byron, That sucks. I believe there are 3 warranty issues at hand. The first is a "time" warranty (I believe Corvairs out of the factory had a 12month warranty). That means the warranty expired 12 months after the day the car was put into service i.e referred to as delivery date/purchase date. The next warranty expired once the odometer hit 12,000 miles. This was considered the basic new car warranty. The 3rd warranty which comes into play is considered 'goodwill". If you have not put many miles on a rebuilt engine and have not abused it (I'm sure you have not) a reputable auto repair shop would stand behind their work. Of course every case is different. An example of someone not getting coverage (in my shop) would be a customer that declined recommended items and/or labor related to an overhaul (an example would be if a customer declined a part that then failed). I am curious: Was the overhaul conducted by a Corvair guy and not just someone that "thinks" he/she can do a proper job? A spark plug hole was stripped on a head but not checked before the head was installed? And as I recall a baffle was left off under the cylinders. Is that correct? If so, these are HUGE red flags regarding the competency (as a Corvair guy) of this shop. That is my opinion.
As far as the noise goes, what makes you state a camshaft bearing has failed? Corvairs did not use bearings, instead we have "bearingless journals". I have heard of these wearing out (the journals on the camshaft is steel and where they sit in the engine is aluminum). We can all visualize which of these would wear (aluminum being the softer metal) but I cannot remember hearing a noise from a cam "bearing". I am not even sure if there is a specification or check of these for wear during an overhaul (using plastigage) in the shop manuals. Hopefully Bob Helt will answer this. I know he has talked about it in 1 of his excellent books.
I wish you good luck with this issue. Plase keep us informed on what is found and what if any coverage you get.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado 81301