<VV> STP and the Scerwdriver

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 5 01:07:10 EST 2012

Smitty,

I appreciate that you took the time to answer that question and my feeling
about "snake oil" salesmen are similar to yours.  Hence my reason for asking
if this was nothing more than a "parlor trick".  Snake Oil may have been a
better term.

On the other hand, several folks have responded in a positive fashion on the
subject of STP.  It sort of sounds like it could be useful as an assembly
lube - but (to my mind) why take a chance on that when investing the amount
it takes to do a full rebuild?  For myself, I'm still waiting for empirical
proof - not merely testimonials - on using it for prolonged engine life as a
ZDDP additive.  So far, from VV sources, I'm not really convinced and I'm
beginning to think that I should not have brought up this topic.

Oh... my goal is to be able to decide if Mobil 1 10W30 with appropriate
amount of STP added will satisfy the ZDDP of 1200 ppm AND provide an
appropriate viscosity level for Corvair engines within the temp ranges we
deal with.  I'd ask the racer guys, but I don't think that they are looking
for the engine longevity that most of us would like.

I'm currently using 15/50 Mobile 1, but sometimes (not often) start and
drive in cold weather - so wonder if I'm doing damage (on those occasions)
which could be avoided by a change in what I put into the crankcase.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140