<VV> Brakes - Question

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Aug 3 01:27:57 EDT 2012

Well, there are many parts that can cause this pulling.

Have you replaced the rear brake hoses? The Corvair has two in back, so
one can defective one back there can cause pulling.

Have you rebuilt the wheel cylinders (or replaced them)? Gunk can build
up in them to the point where the pistons will not move.

Odd one, but possible, is one of the metal lines flattened, like from a
rock or other road debris?

The tool for measuring brake drag is your hand.  Ears are used also for
audible dragging.

If the self adjusters are working, they do a very good job of keeping
the brakes adjusted correctly. If they didn't work when new, there would
have been a lot more trips to the repair shops with all these GM cars
back then. Before self adjusters were standard equipment it was common
to have to adjust brakes every 3000 miles or so (city driving)!

I tighten the shoes until they drag heavy, then back off the star wheel
until they just spin free. Then I let the self adjusters take it from
there. On non-self adjusting brakes, I adjust the shoes until they  drag
heavy, then back off until they just drag. Usually the drum turns free
for about half a revolution, then drags slightly.

You've had a front end alignment, so they should have seen of any
suspension arts were worn out. I've seen castor adjusting bushings worn
out causing pulling. Same with control arm bushings. Also if the
wheelbase is not close (length measurement) from side to side.

Frank DuVal