<VV> You know you are old when...

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Sep 15 11:14:48 EDT 2011

...you remember party lines and rotary dial phones, gas at US$0.25,
LifeSavers at a nichel a roll and if you know how to use a slide rule.  And
seeing your first 1960 Corvair in the dealer showroom.

We got our first dumb terminal, which was hooked up to the main frame, at
work in about 1982.

Several years before the dumb termianl showed up, I heard a group of
engineers discussing how you know you are getting old.  The two repeatable
ones are: when teenage girls start opening doors for you, and when the
mothers of teenage girls start looking better than teenage girls.

I remember all the things above, had a teenage girl open the door for me two
weeks after the conversation, and understood the "looking better than" all
to well.  Now it is grandmothers of teenage girls.  And even some
greatgrandmothers (!!)

Oh well.  The other choice is...?

Probably enough revelations - and reality checks - for one day.

Historically Yours,
			James

Message: 8