<VV> Towing with a Corvair

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Thu Nov 10 13:55:00 EST 2011

I've never towed with a Corvair but I've towed many a Corvair and other vehicles on my 16' flatbed (no brakes).  I do have a load leveling hitch now but haven't had the chance to use it yet.  I've towed hundreds of cars with that flatbed and often the weight was way over the tow vehicle.  Most of it's life it was towed by either a '79 Seville or a '78 Caprice.  It's had all forms of Corvairs on it except Ultra Vans or course.  It's also towed Astro vans, Delta 88s, Caprices and other heavy vehicles.  The heaviest load was a trailer full of Corvair parts I picked up  that probably weighed 10,000 lbs.  (lots of engines and transaxles)
The last few years it has been pulled by a friend's '88 Jimmy.  Almost anything towed is heavier than that.  The key is loading it correctly and using your brain.  Be responsible and everything will be fine.  If you don't have enough tongue weight or don't allow enough distance to stop you are asking for trouble.
I've got some electric brakes that I intend to install someday.  Then I can pull it with a Corvair if I can come up with a hitch I am satisfied with.
I don't tow in the mountains because we don't have any in my driving radius from DFW.
Joel McGregor