<VV> Speedo

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Nov 4 14:02:14 EDT 2011

I took a piece of old bad cable and cut off the end so that an inch
stuck out.  Then used the big floppy buffer to turn it.  No housing.

I have not tried the nut loosened, good idea.  Today I drove on the
freeway 5 miles and it magically was working sortof again (under 35
-- would not go higher, seems correct under 35.

I am beginning to think it is lubrication in the speedo ... perhaps
the dremel is turning way fast ... if I could only figure a way to
lubricate it w/out tearing my early coupe apart.  I hate that job ...
hard not to scratch the steering column, the PG cable is a beatch ...
I did it once and forgot the high beam cardboard tube and had to do
it twice which truly sucked ... it always sucks to finish a job and
see an extra part on the bench!

Do you know if wd40 is OK?  I was thinking of drilling a small hole
in the bottom of the case where the gears are and shoving a wd40 tube
in an blasting it ... probably a bad idea.  But I am grasping at straws ...

Eric

At 08:58 PM 11/3/2011, you wrote:

>It is odd that they'll work on the bench with the Dremel, but not on
>the car -- I'll grant you that one fer sure -- but, was the dreml
>test with a cable housing attached?  could the housing nut be
>causing a bind?  Never heard of such a thing, but there's always a
>first time.  I'd suspect that the different angle of the housings
>under the dash come from replacement of the housing with a slightly
>longer (or shorter) housing, or a slight change in the routing under
>the car -- I gather, "take out the entire dash", that this is an
>early. I think I remember you saying "transmission", too. Have you
>tried running them with the housing nut loosened?
>
>grasping at straws,
>
>Bill

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )