<VV> tire size choices

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat May 21 23:47:25 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/21/2011 6:51:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bwschug at att.net writes:

There  was a project going on to reproduce bias 7.00-13's. I haven't
heard  anything about it in months and think it probably proved to be
financially impossible. Unfortunately, Corvair owners typically are
looking for a tire for about forty-bucks, when a reproduced 7.00-13
might cost $125 or more.

Very true, Bruce. So the logical explanation of "What to do" when  faced
with the above problem is to change to more easily available tire sizes.  13
or 14 or 15. Holding your breath until you turn blue - for a $40 7.00-13 will
 result in you passing out. Either the 7.00-13 is what you "need" - in
which  case be prepared to fork out the big money, when/if they become
available, or "settle" for the $60 or $70 or $80 replacements in other  diameters.
With commonly available (virtually free) 14" steel wheels easily  available,
you could pick a correct diameter 14" tire hit the swap meets  for Impala
wire caps, and except to the eagle-eyed hyper-critical, it will look  stock.
If it is a goober-looking tall/narrow 14, it will even resemble some  tallish
7.00-13s, the kind the tire companies say they built, but (almost) no  one
remembers seeing. Remember many more Corvairs came with 6.50-13s than ever
came with any 7.00-13. Either you like the look of the tiny-tyke tires, or
you  don't. You pay the money and you take your choice. I have a beautiful
set of  new 14" diameter modular wheels in my garage. They even clear my
4wheel disk brakes. But I have no idea which car to put them on, all my
Corvairs have 15" wheels of varying widths, and performance tires are easily
available.  Tag - You're it!

Seth Emerson