<VV> Dual master cylinder

William Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Thu Mar 24 17:02:14 EDT 2011

I confess to being a poopyhead, but on this point, I have valid reasoning.

The simple fact is that far and away the majority of "brake failures" have
nothing to do with the braking equipment (single or master cylinder) but
rather with the brake operator.  So long as people continue to drive too
fast for conditions, follow too closely, or simply DUI (I = fatigue, drugs,
alcohol, or distraction [phones/texting/talking/eating/putting on make-up,
etc.]), there will continue to be braking failures.  The odds of having an
accident because of an actual mechanical failure in any braking system
simply do not compare to the odds of an accident due to operator error.  My
point is, and always has been, that too much emphasis is put on improving
the safety equipment of the automobile, and not nearly enough emphasis is
place on operator training and responsibility.  All the safety systems in
the world will not protect you from your failure to use the device properly.
However, the emergence of these multiple safety systems seems to have
coincided with a decrease in operator responsibility and training.  I have
no doubt that today's cars are inherently "safer" that yesterday's cars, but
today's drivers are far more distracted and therefore more dangerous.

When I drive my 1964 Corvair with its single master cylinder, one-piece
steering shaft, direct-air heater, swing-axle suspension, mechanical points
ignition system, and T3 incandescent headlights, I am a completely different
driver than when I drive my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid.  When I drive the stock
Corvair, I KNOW that I could be impaled by that "spear of death", or that
with a single broken line lose my brakes, or that my wheels "might" fall off
IF I am stupid enough to not check everything out and keep it in working
order AND drive like a modern idiot - so I don't do that.  I don't drive my
Corvair unless it is ready to be driven, and I drive with a different sense
of the world around me.  I do enjoy the experience of "stepping back in
time" when I drive the 1964, savoring life the way it used to be, with all
its warts and dangers.  I certainly do not want to have an accident in my
Corvair - it is priceless to me and irreplaceable in my mind, so I protect
it, and it protects me.  That doesn't mean I don't sometimes drive it fast
and hard, but I do so sensibly and responsibly.

Yes, our Corvairs ARE 40-50 years old, and parts CAN fail.  I presume that
those of you installing dual master cylinders in your cars are aware of this
as well, so I hope you would also be replacing brake lines, hoses,
cylinders, and other parts as I did when I rebuilt my car with a STOCK
single master cylinder system.  The Hard-Harder test is a fail-safe for
those of you who like to take shortcuts.

At best, the dual master cylinder is like an insurance policy - you hope to
god you never have to use it, but you WILL have to use brakes on your car
every day.  We all agree that EVERY car should have a mechanically sound and
properly functioning braking system, so regardless of which type of master
cylinder you prefer, please remember to inspect, repair, and maintain the
PRIMARY components of your braking system, and most important, be a safe and
fully engaged driver.

Bill Hubbell