<VV> Choke Coil VS Pull Off - was ambient

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jan 16 18:32:31 EST 2011

Well, only if you start up and quickly go to full throttle. ggg

The choke pull off works all the time there is manifold vacuum, which
only goes away at full throttle.

To quote Bob Helt: "Anytime the engine is running, either at an idle or
at speed, there will be manifold vacuum at this port. Thus, the choke
will be prevented from fully closing anytime the engine is running."
Quoted from his carburetor book, pg 39.

The port where the choke pull off is connected is a rather large (by
carburetor standards) hole straight to the intake manifold ( i.e. below
the throttle plate).

I do agree in use that the choke pull off is no longer the primary choke
plate positioner once the engine has warmed up to where the choke coil
is holding the choke plate open.

Frank DuVal