<VV> Get your Oil

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 10:32:36 EST 2011

JR, there are other options. Although, I don't like having to go find
the oil, so I don't use Amsoil. But:

I think Amsoil's 10-40 is also high enough in ZDDP. Clark's sells it,
too. It has a cSt of 14.6, slightly higher than recommended, but it
seems to work well. Its on page 122 of the Clark's catalog. They have
not touched it because it is too heavy a oil for todays tight
clearance modern engines, it is still advertised as a Diesel oil,
however, hence it can still keep the higher levels of ZDDP.

Yes, ZDDP is available at my local FLAPS, but I get mine on Amazon in
a three pack or have Clark's throw a bottle in once in awhile when I
order parts. Most oils today still have 800-900 PPM of the ZDDP,
however, it is dropping, and the ZDDP plus says it has adequate levels
for todays oils. I'm sure the ZDDP Plus guys are watching that and
will change their formula as needed.

Also, I know many people do not like to use the STP product, but a
bottle and a half of the newer blue bottle STP is enough ZDDP also. It
advertises ZDDP right on the label.

But rather than chase the horses tail too much since oils are always
changing, I'm just going to use the additive with a good synthetic 10
w30. If you are worried about cost because you drive  your car alot,
go to the Mobil 1 Extended performance synthetic oil which can run for
15K miles or the Amsoil full synthetic at 15K miles and change the oil
filter half way through.  Mark Durham