<VV> MY 64 COUPE / gas economy

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 10:37:23 EDT 2011

my original 64 coupe was a 110hp 4 spd. it had a 3:27 differential. it got
very good mileage for the way i drove in 64 era. (i put 70,000 miles on it
in a  little over 1 year!).
so i wonder if 64 carbs , 3:27 differential , carefully re curved
distributor , high test gas , would yield similar results with today's  gas?
in the meantime , i built a really nice motor for my 64 coupe , from a
complete! 65 110hp powerglide , A/C motor that had low miles on it , but was a
mess from many years in the field behind a dealership?. it has correct
carbs ,  distributor , and heads on it. i put it in my 64 coupe , powerglide
3:27  differential. i have only driven it a few miles on our country roads
(including  a good "test" hill) and it seems very snappy., so hopes are it will
be good on  gas also.  fuel economy AND performance  will be a focus now on
my "messing around with corvairs"
i had a 64 convert with about the same setup a few years ago , and it got
25 plus mpg average driving , including 65 on thruway. now to see if later
carbs  are better or worse with the enrichment circuit in them. i doubt
electronic  ignition makes that big a difference , but i have them on my cars.
gas here is going up a dime at a time...taking fun out of my best hobby
really ticks me off.
regards, tim colson      wondering where that  money REALLY goes! lol