<VV> Childhood Corvair Memories from New Jersey in the 1970s

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at pobox.com
Thu Nov 18 12:55:41 EST 2010

Being that I have been away from Corvairs for a long time, restarting
this project has caused me to reflect on my first interest in Corvairs
which dates back to the early 1970s in my pre-teen years. I can't recall
exactly when I was first aware of Corvairs, but my interest in them was
in full bloom by around 1974 at age 12. At that time, my family lived in
northern New Jersey and I have a few distinct memories that I was
curious as to whether anyone here was around to recall. One in
particular was a person in Hibernia, NJ on Green Pond Road, sort of
across the street from the library that used to be a church (or at least
in the stretch between the library and a convenience store).... this
person had a driveway full of Corvairs. I used to daydream that I would
approach him (or her) to see if they wanted to sell one that I could fix
up in time for when I got my driver's license. My family moved away
before that happened, so it was just an adolescent fantasy.

During that time, my family lived in Mountain Lakes and I used to ride
my bike to school and I had a few choices of which route to take, but I
usually chose the route that would take me on Lake Drive right at the
start where it meets Morris Ave, because there was a LM Corvair coupe
sitting on the edge of some woods on the property, not far from the
street... another car I fantasized about asking if it was for sale.

Anyway, the Mountain Lakes Corvair was probably just a random car, one
of many that could be found sitting around at that time. But I was
curious whether anyone on VV knows who that was in Hibernia with the
driveway full of Corvairs.

Karl in Boston
1966 Monza Convertible 110/PG with powertrain safely sitting in basement
awaiting overhaul