<VV> Removing piston connecting rod caps & journal care

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Nov 10 07:18:29 EST 2010

How important this is kind of depends up which part of the journal the nick is located.  If it is on the main thrust part one should take great care to not create any kind of a flat spot.  Your description leads me to think yours is on the side of the journal.  Either way, if you look very closely, a nick usually consists of two parts.  1.  An area from which material has been displaced and is lower than the normal surface; 2. the displaced material which is higher than the normal surface.

Do not be concerned with the area that is lower than the surrounding surface.  Sandpaper of any type is not really the best choice so I would use a very fine honing stone and something like honing oil.  Working with just a touch at a time. take off ONLY the portion which is higher than the normal surface.  This is a fussy little job and very high power magnifying glasses and plenty of light are required.  When complete the lower area will still be visible and the former higher area will be at the same level as the normal surface with NO flat spot.

As long as you are starting with mostly new parts it would probably be wise to replace the bearing shell.
Ken P

Charles Lee <Chaz at ProperProper.com> wrote:

On #3 (the problem cylinder in my case) I noticed a tiny nick in the
journal, that I can barely feel only with my fingernail about 1/2" CCW from
the oil hole (looking forward).