<VV> Terminology thoughts (little Corvair)

lonzovair at aol.com lonzovair at aol.com
Sun May 9 12:58:05 EDT 2010

Hankie-poo states:
<< In the 50's Buick called their hardtops "Riviera"  Olds called them
"Holiday".>> snip
<<Body style code number from
the Fisher body plate will give you the correct GM name for the model.>>

As the former owner of a 1950 Buick Roadmaster Riviera sedan (Model 72R) I will attest that they also referred to some of the 4 door 'post' sedans as Rivieras. Unlike the typical Model 72, the 72R had special stainless trim around the roofline and around the door tops to make it look like a "hardtop" from a distance... the 72R that I had 20 years ago was ordered without the power windows and power seat, but had tinted glass (E-Z-Eye) all around... rumor had it being bought by a high up in the Cincinnati Archdiocese when it was new... I sold that barge when the first Gulf War forced gas prices out of price range (on a good day it got 12 MPG, what with that 320 CID straight 8 and Dynaslow transmision... 0-60 in 2 minutes...)...

Funny, 20 years ago I was driving a 40 year old car... 20 years later I'm driving a 46 year old car (and have a 49 year old van that may get back on the road this year!)...

:-)
Later,
Lonzo