<VV> How MUCH Phosphorus and Zinc?

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Thu Mar 18 18:26:03 EDT 2010

Figures it would be that complicated!  And from my reading, lack of
zinc is what causes the rounded cam problems.  I had two engines go
flat on the cam lobes in less then 8000 miles.  Both were broken in
the "traditional way" using 30 wgt dino oil of the mechanic's
choice.  When I tore them apart and put a new cam in, and on a third
engine I rebuilt thankfully once, I broke them in with the Mobil
1.  It says on their site it is safe for break in.  I put 30k on one,
25k on the 2nd, and 10k on the third -- no flat cams!  Still driving
them.   It is a pretty precise test as the cams (except 1) were
identical Clark's cams, the mechanic was the same, the cars the
same.  I decided to do this the 2nd time around because of Web
research that indicated that a zinc shortage caused this problem.  I
believe it helps the oil film-up on the parts.  Oil seems to be a
very personal thing, everyone has their favorite with good reasons
all!  I probably would try some of the others if I could just buy it
at Walmart and be done with it.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/index.html

Note that the Mobil 1 separates the ppm for zinc and phosphorous ...
and it is not the percentage this article says is usual.

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-engine-oils-for-flat-tappet-cam.html
http://www.carzwy.com/Why-use-a-high-Zinc-Oil-with-a-flat-tappet-motor-.html

At 02:42 PM 3/18/2010, BobHelt at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/18/2010 1:35:04 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
>flash at vicsmba.com writes:
>in fact, if an oil lists
>1200 ZDDP how much Phosphorous and how much Zinc is that?),
>
>Hi Flash,
>The specification requirement is ONLY for phosphorous. It is
>supplied by ZDDP which also happens to have some zinc. But zinc is
>not a specified requirement.
>
>The requirement for GF-4 oils is a minimum amount of phos to be
>0.06% and a max of 0.08%. These two numbers translate to 600 ppm min
>and 800 ppm max. SM rated oils can have "any amount of phos but
>usually the max is 800 ppm.
>Regards,
>Bob Helt

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.