<VV> EM Wheels question

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Mar 5 00:04:22 EST 2010

At 12:31 PM 3/3/2010, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:16 AM, kenpepke at juno.com wrote:
>
> > This risk becomes even more apparent when one realizes this was a
> somewhat common failure on the original vehicles.
>
>It was?  I'll admit ignorance of the Toyota data, but I have *never*
>heard of a Z wheel failure, and we had one and were involved in the
>Z club for some time.  Further, Datsun wheels have been used on a
>number of Corvairs over the years, again I'm unaware of any reported incident.
>
>For the record, ZParts.com lists the Datsun 240Z at a curb weight of
>2,355 pounds, not that much less than an early Corvair (the DACC
>site says "under 2400 pounds").  Later Z cars were heavier, although
>I don't know by how much.
>
>--Bryan

One of the bunch I ran around with had a 280Z with alloy wheels,
kinda nice.    I de-smogged it to make it run without gagging and be
able to use engine braking etc.   It found its way onto the Lawrence
Transfer scales, courtesy of Don who worked there as did just about
every car associated with "The Bunch".   The 280Z with driver weighed
a tad over 3100 lbs, not sure what was in the trunk/hatch area
though.  Seemed kinda heavy for what it was.   My '63 Spyder was
2500, surprised it was that much lighter than the 280.   Don's '66
GTO weighed 3150 lbs... about same as the 280Z.   More of a surprise
than the 'Vair vs 280.   Still not sure what he did to knock off
weight... although it had no front fender wells and never carried a
spare or even a jack, and it did have a turbo-400 trans (aluminum)
but still... less than 3200 lbs?    Then again, Don wasn't in the car
when it was weighed... he was running the scales.    We were always
in our cars driving onto the scales, sitting there.

My '66 Satellite ended up at 3900 lbs with me in it.   It had a pile
of stuff in the trunk... but still...  title weight stated
3285lbs.   It never weighed anywhere close to that weight.   A '61
Valiant I had Back When had a "title weight" of 3700 lbs... go
figger.   2700 was likely what it actually was.

Mom's Crown Imperial sedan tipped the scales at 5700 lbs even.   I
was impressed.   Danny's Mustang-II was the lightest of the bunch,
barely 2400 lbs.    It had alloy wheels that looked a little like the
280 wheels, but weren't.

That was a while ago... ;)

Of all those cars, only Danny still has the same Mustang-II to this
day.   The rest are long gone, sold etc.

I always liked the looks of the Datsun alloy wheels on the Z cars...
might have to shop around and turn up a set since this thread has
been carrying some weight of late.

tony..