<VV> protecting Corvair worth, was: arrogance WAS telecolumn

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 10:15:12 EST 2010

I once got a '66 Monza 4door, with 140/auto, a/c, bumper guards, door edge
guards, tutone (all factory-installed accessories, mind you) but MISSING
the steering column. It had ended up in a Corvette person's hands, who had
bought it solely for the tele column, and that is what he took out of it. I
got the rest of the car for cheap, instead of him hauling it off to the
crusher, and only because he knew I was into Corvairs.

So just because YOU haven't heard of it happening doesn't mean it doesn't
happen. It DOES!

And the reason your '60 column isn't worth the tele column price is because
they made well over a million EM Corvairs with the same column, but less
than 800 '67-9 tele columns (and just over 14,000 '65-6 versions.) Plus,
your column doesn't have any pieces common with Corvettes. The tele columns
do. Hope that helps explain the differences.

And there simply is NO substitute for the parts the Corvette people are
after. It should be obvious that that's why they're after the Corvair parts
in the first place. Thus selling a tele column to a Corvette person denys
Corvair people the opportunity to upgrade and improve their cars' values.
And THAT is how it hurts the Corvair hobby.

-Mark

running Corvair to sell to a Corvette restorer so I have to disagree with
this whole line of thinking.

If I put a steering column for a 60 on ebay, it is likely to fetch $15 at
most. If a 66 telecolumn obtains $800 because it is useful in other
Chevrolet models for restoration purposes, how is it harmful to any
Corvair?

So, does anyone need a 60 steering column in good condtion? It is rare and
I won't even fault you if you put it in a Corvette.