<VV> Metal v 'glass (was: NASCAR, no Corvair)

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Feb 4 15:12:37 EST 2010

BBRT wrote:
> Might be worth pointing out that NASCAR "Stock cars" at the highest levels
> are not 'glass (fiberglass?) as Mark erroneously stated, "That's because the
> "cars" they race are mere 'glass mockups of cars set over top of pure
> tube-frame race cars."
>
> They are all metal.

True, except for the noses, which are a plastic material akin to the
bumper covers on modern road cars, and the rear bumper covers, which,
um, are a plastic material akin to the bumper covers on modern road cars.

Put me down in the column of those who do not care for today's spec-car
formula in NASCAR.

I was much happier last weekend at the indoor midget races, where there
was a great variety in cars, and where the top 3 finishers overall were
each in one-off purpose-built machines, no two alike.

Yes, the contemporary NASCAR car is incredibly safe as compared to the
cars of years ago.  (As a kid I was a Fireball Roberts fan, and as
things turned out he had a cruelly ironic name.)  Of course, so are my
short-track midgets, the proof of which is that today we see parents
entering cars for their kids to drive, whereas 40 years ago all parents
said no, emphatically, to a child who wanted to race.

I liked the T-shirt that read, "Remember when sex was safe and racing
was dangerous?"

--Bob