<VV> Nader and the book ! Why was Corvair his target ?

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 19:07:02 EST 2010

Yes, Marc.

I believe Nadar's thought process was that, because the Corvair was
revolutionary instead of evolutionary, it should have included many safety upgrades
that would be required years later.  The Corvair was a complete departure
from the norm and since GM had started with a blank sheet of paper, he felt
that they didn't need to live with an existing platform and technology.  It
would have been "easy" in his opinion to include safer technology.  Where his
logic fell short was that the Corvair was designed and marketed as an
economy car.  Of course, there are those among us that feel that it should have b
een marketed as a sports car but that wasn't the direction they took back
when it was first designed.  Adding 3 point seat belts, collapsing steering
columns, disk brakes, etc. would have guaranteed the failure of the Corvair in
its first year due to costs.  After that, no manufacturer would dare to
innovate if it would add cost; especially on an economy car.  High end luxury
cars could afford to include "experimental" safety upgrades but an economy
car aimed at the Beetle as its competition could not afford upgrades that were
not required by the government or a competitive industry.  At that time and
to a degree, still today, car manufacturers rarely added costly safety
equipment unless required by the government.  A government requirement levels
the field because everyone's cost goes up.  Remember, back then, people would
make an economy car buying decision based on a few dollars difference.

Like it or not, Nadar's legacy is that he forced the government to get more
involved and ultimately force all manufacturers to include safety equipment
that they might not have included otherwise.

Doc
1960 Corvette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965
Greenbrier; 1966 Corsa turbo coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 12/9/2010 11:59:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,