<VV> Birthdays

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 22:19:47 EST 2010

I drove Corvairs through high school and into college. When the Vega came out my
dad talked me into unloading my 3 Corvairs (including the my project car near
ready for paint) to buy a new Vega. I special ordered a Vega GT (red of course)
- no stripe.

The engine shook so bad it would shake the guts out of the carburetor. Washed
the walls with gasoline - I averaged 13 MPG on a trip from Raleigh, NC to
Pensacola FL. When I unloaded it I was adding 2 quarts of oil at every gas
fillup.

GM had an overheating problem which would make the cylinders warp, so they had
one of those back-door warranty programs where if you asked they would fix it.
Took it to my friendly local dealer. They removed the head, reinstalled it,
charged me $250 for the privelege, and informed me it was not "the problem".

On the upside, it never overheated. And I got rid of it before it rusted out !