<VV> [SCG] Concours Entry Numbers

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Sep 7 15:10:47 EDT 2009

At 08:24 AM 9/4/2009, kenpepke at juno.com wrote:

>However for the benefit of the board, convention committee and
>concours committtee, the
>following are yearly entries in concours reported to me.
>
>Jacksonville    45
>             Ventura    38
>Detroit    57
>Buffalo    60
>             Portland    36
>Lexington    70
>Carlisle    77
>             Flagstaff    37
>Chicago    73
>Daytona    68
>
>General observation shows steady decline from Carlisle 77 to Jacksonville 45.

First:   All this is simply my own reflections and nothing that
anyone should consider as carved in marble.

The above list is somewhat accurate but perhaps not entirely...

Lexington was very much centrally located and able to draw more from
the general population that the regions located on corners.

Portland is on the northwest corner...  long drive from this side of
the country.
Ventura likewise, on the western end of the map.
Detroit, not so much on a corner although a bit far north.
Flagstaff?   Low numbers possibly reflect the weather as well as geography.
Daytona and Carlisle are the odd men out here, both close to corners
(pretty much) but they brought out the cars.
Carlisle had a BIG turnout, considering its location, and the weather
was nice (for the most part) and the region is known for attracting
vintage car buffs...  and did I say the weather was nice?
Daytona's turnout was kinda high, all things considered... and may
have had even more if it had not been subject to a tad bit of
weather-related distress from those who weren't too keen on Florida
humidity/heat in August.
Jacksonville was on a corner but unlike Daytona it also had the
economy to deal with, which would keep more than a few potential
participants away.
Note that Chicago, like Lexington, was in the middle of the map...
and had a flock of participants although I bet many were relatively
local to the region... ;)
Buffalo was well attended, wouldn't have figured that many cars
showing up there although the area has its interests, and the weather
wouldn't offend most people.

...just reflections ;)

>The committees and board should be concerned about how to reverse
>the trend with special
>promotions or rule changes.
>
>With a base of nearly 4,800 CORSA members,
>45 entries is LESS THAN ONE PER CENT.

A lot depends on logistics... along with the actual number of people
who own a show quality Corvair willing to transport it halfway across
the country to display it for a day's worth of judging.   That still
involves some quantity of work-intensive dedication on the part of
the participant.

...and times are changing.  People have been wondering about
unnecessary expenditures for some time now...  at least I have.

>CORSA is reported to be in the red and Jacksonville convention
>attendance was said to be
>the lowest in 25 years.

I'm not all that sure it's because of a lack of interest.   I didn't
make the show this time.   I had to work... wish I could have done it
and it was not much more than a day's drive if I started early
enough.   Still, money talks and work was happening and I'm pleased
that my job seems fairly secure... for now.

Frankly, a show's being on a corner of the map with the economy
hovering dangerously in the red may well have had a lot more to do
with participation than a lack of interest.

>Perhaps a concours buildup could reverse the convention decline.

National trends regarding $$$ could help as much as anything
else.   People tend to be careful with trips, unnecessary expenses,
and time away from the workplace when there's concern about their
pocketbooks.    Like several others have mentioned, CORSA may well be
trying but there's more than just one or two obstacles to hop.

Either way, when my dues come due, I'll do the due and pay the dues
when they're due.    If the next Nats is 2400 miles away I'm not
likely to make it... but if one comes along where it's a day's drive,
I'm there.

Of course I'll not likely be showing a car, but I'll be
participating.   My budget unfortunately doesn't encourage a show car
and transport to take it to far places... wish it did.   I'd love to play.

tony..