<VV> 1969 gas tank remove help needed

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Tue Nov 17 14:17:40 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 2:28 PM
Subject: <VV> 1969 gas tank remove help needed

>I am trying to move the filler neck downward so I can get the fender  gas
> tank door/flap off of my '69.  There is a little rust in there  that I
> want
> to weld up.
************
Consider as a crutch for another 5 years ... (g) .... to use a rust
convertor, or POR 15 etc. etc.   The aeorosol conertor cans for me are
marginal, the brush on convertor stuff is pretty good, and the best is an
epoxy, 2 part, which would also allow you to rebuild, with some glass cloth
impregnated ( so to speak ) with the epoxy.

Epoxy is far superior for repairs than Bondo ( as the price will tell you )
....   a pretty good , not finicky, epoxy for the bucks is SIG epoxy,
available thru model airplane supply hobby shops.  You can add a small
amount of   pigment ( plastic model paint ) if you wish.

.... and do not weld around gasoline vapors .....   draining the tank (
siphoning... ) may not get rid of the vapors....  KABOOM ...

reargards, ken campbell, deltawerkes