<VV> Fwd: [fastvair] Convention racing

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 09:01:20 EDT 2009

Maybe some things are just not meant to be.

If you remember, earlier this year, I took my then 16 year old
granddaughter, Amanda, to an autocross school in  in my Stinger, in
preparation of her running in the convention autocross. I was honestly
mostly interested in her participation more than mine.
    Since the veteran Roeboing Road experts suggested using a 3.27 axle
at the track---which would not work well at the autocross with a Yenko
gearbox---, I compromised and took the lighter Roadster with a 3.27 and
Standard Saginaw. Naturally the experts were wrong again and a 3.55
would have worked better, and of course it is what they used.
     When I put the Roadster away last winter, it ran perfectly. Of
course, 3 weeks before the Convention, It wouldn't start. I changed
everything electrical and finally found out that it needed a new
magnetic pick up coil in the HEI dist.
     Then I took/tested  it in a two day National Tour event where it
ran perfectly in both the wet and  hot dry days.
    So, as preventitive maintenance, I replaced the oil and all of the
belts and mounted new  soft tires on the autocross wheels. How could
you be more ready??? I even went to Florida last Winter and
experienced the autocross site.
    When I got to Roebling Road It ran 1 1/2 laps and I had to be towed
in. I replaced the distributor module and it again ran perfectly for
one lap and I had to be towed in again. May experienced volunteers
jumped in to help; expecially Rick Gralley. Finally we all just gave up
and I excepted a practice ride in Perry Nances V6 Nascar Sunbird. It
was a great ride. Then without pactice in it, I drove Michael's very
fast Yellow car in the time trials.
      My day was saved in a way, but I was still worried about Amanda
and
the autocross. Thanks everyone.
       When I got back to the Hotel at Jacksonville, I thought that I
would relax at the piano, but I had to repair it also.
      I worked on the car and changed to the autocross tires in the
three
hours  beside Michael  while he was changing his transaxle.
        I spent the week working and worrying about the car and again
replaced every thing electrical, including 3 coils and 3 modules. All
of the voltages and resistances checked out correctly on all components
and wiring.
     Wednesday at the Test and tune it again ran perfectly for one lap
and shut down again and never restarted until 4:00.
      We then changed to a distributor that Michael brought,  which had
new pick up coil just like the one that I had installed just 3 weeks
earlier. We had to change his dist. to the reverse direction gear. Both
coils had the correct resistance.
    We installed it, and it started right away, just as torrential
sheets of rain came down. We were done for the day.  Why would you
suspect the newest part which had passed a test in competition?
      Thursday morning it started again and  I set set the timing just
as
Amanda was scheduled to drive.
    She drove cold, having never sat in the car and did just great, in
three back to back runs. I then made two back to back runs and came in
with nearly 500 degree head temperature, so decided to wait it out and
cool down, as I was temporarily ahead. . Five back to back runs with no
waiting in 95+++ temps was just too much. .
     Michael and David were fighting it out and were just .005 seconds
apart. They both hit cones and I didn't have to run again.
     On an interesting side note, the three fastest cars had lateral
link kits, 6 tube intakes ,  6 into one exhaust systems, and 11" wide
rear tires. . Just a coincidcence?

      Is having fun supposed to be this hard?. If I ever go to another
July, southern convention, I'll have to stay inside out of the heat.

Warren

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional